Monday, March 13, 2006

GNOCCHI CAN YOU HEAR ME?

BEFORE AFTER
I hear the drums echoing tonight But she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation She’s coming in 12:30 flight The moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation I stopped an old man along the way Hoping to find some long forgotten words or ancient melodies He turned to me as if to say, hurry boy, spinach gnocchi is waiting there for you Chorus: It’s gonna take a lot to drag that gnocchi away from you There’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do I bless the gnocchi down in africa Gonna take some time to do the things we never had The wild dogs cry out in the night As they grow restless longing for some spinach gnocchi I know that I must do what’s right Sure as kilimanjaro rises like olympus above the serengeti I seek to eat spinach basil garlic gnocchi, frightened of this thing that I’ve become Chorus (instrumental break) Hurry boy, gnocchi waiting there for you It’s gonna take a lot to drag that gnocchi away from you There’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do I bless the gnocchi down in africa, I bless the gnocchi down in africa I bless the gnocchi down in africa, I bless the gnocchi down in africa I gnocchi the gnocchi down in spinach gnocchi Gonna take some time to do the things we never had //10oz spinach //3 large eggs //1 cup grated parmesan //1/2 cup ricotta cheese //1 1/4 cup bread crumbs //4 tbsp chopped fresh basil //1/3 cup chopped green onions //1 garlic clove, minced or pressed //1/2 tsp salt //1/4 tsp ground black pepper //pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon to taste //2 to 3 cups tomato sauce //preheat oven to 400. oil a baking dish. //rinse spinach well and place in large pot with only the water that clings to leaves. cook on high, stirring occaisionally, until it wilts all small-like. set aside and drain. //in a large bowl mix all the other stuff. gently stir in the chopped spinach into the mush. //drop the batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto the baking dish. the ones above are bigger than a tablespoon, about the size of a really plum perogi. cause we're fattening ourselves up. //should make about 18 balls. pour the tomato sauce around the gnocchi to almost cover. //bake for about 25 mins until firm and beginning to brown. serve hot with tomato sauce ladled on top, and if you can HANDLE IT, add some more parmesan.